EGPC was established in 1956 with its headquarters in Cairo.At the foundation stage it was named General Petroleum Authority.It was renamed as Egyptian General Petroleum Corporation in 1962.EGPC owns 70% of shares in the Egyptian Natural Gas Company, as well as a 75% stake in the petroleum-industry support airline Petroleum Air Services (the remaining 25% being held by the British firm Bristow Group).